12. Final Design
Updated: Feb 19
In order to test the final design, I conducted a pilot workshop, pilot discussion event and designed a virtual tour of Ani Hila village.
The pilot workshop was conducted with 5 families and the time duration was 2 hours. There were three major activities in the workshop:
1. Recording Reactions to a Feeling: First Activity Brief- Express your feelings on the given text by sharing opinion with your family members and then share a collective opinion with other families. Given Text: A poem by Sylvia Stults on awareness about climate change.
Awareness, Poem by Sylvia Stults
2. Create a useful or inspirational form from unwanted/waste material: Second Activity Brief- This step included creating or repurposing unwanted/waste material into a useful or inspirational form/object.
3. Reimagine the self: Third Activity Brief- The third and the last activity was to ask the participants to imagine themselves as a person with decision making power and authority in their community. And asking them to write down actions they would take regarding the issue of climate change. Lastly, having a conversation about this with the whole group.
Workshop on Zoom
Products/forms made by workshop participants
Virtual Tour of Ani Hila
Various Videos of the village were made showing the practices followed by the people in the village and the materials and process used by them. The virtual tour experience was designed by combining the videos with narration and subtitles. I wanted to test a physical guided tour of Ani hila but the unfavourable conditions due the pandemic didn’t permit that, it will be part of the future developments of the project.
Ani Hila Village Virtual Experience, Videography credit: Vidushi and editing by Aarushi
Gobar-Gas Solution: Virtual Experience, Videography credit: Vidushi and editing by Aarushi
Vermicompost Making: Virtual Experience, Videography credit: Vidushi and editing by Aarushi
The discussion event was attended by 6 participants (4 from the city and 2 from the village). The discussion forum was designed with a defined focus in mind: to bring the rural and urban communities together to collectively take actions towards a sustainable future. In order to encourage people and share their thoughts the discussion was designed as follows:
1. Defined topic for discussion: Ani Hila Village Sustainable Practices 2. I collected general queries and thoughts of participants before discussion
3. The discussion was structured with sub topics for constant engagement
Water conservation practices in Ani Hila
Waste Management approach
Energy Generation and Management
Sustainability Education and Awareness
4. Visual Material about the sub topics was presented during the discussion 5. Three Polls were conducted during the discussion for more involvement of participants
Discussion Event on Zoom
The visual materials, sub topics and polls helped cultivating the conversation and sustain the enthusiasm of the participants. The ideal discussion would take place physically in the Ani Hila Village but due to the pandemic, I couldn’t test that and hence a virtual discussion was tested with 6 participants.
Polls during the Discussion
This research project have been a great learning experience for me. Although there were numerous limitations due to the current pandemic situations, I tried to use available resources in the most efficient manner. The major drawback was Covid-19 situation prevented establishing physical connection with the participants and did not allow to conduct and test workshop, discussions and guided tour physically. More pictures and videos could have been collected if the methods were not tested virtually. The requirement of the project was to include families together in the workshop which resulted in cognitive difference among the focused group and some unanticipated complications.
In conclusion, the research and testing on outcomes demonstrated when people jointly engage in activities that leverage the psychological factors such as social influence, habit formation, individual self, feelings, cognition and tangibility they have the potential to generate greater awareness that can ultimately lead to transformative actions. The main goal of the project is to stimulate shift from linear thinking to circular thinking through exchange of learning, experiences and strengthening connections and relationships between people. The overall findings and testing have demonstrated that the three design outcomes facilitate collaborations, connection and create awareness among people in order to achieve integrated sustainability and project goals.
For imparting the information and communication and to initiate community participation in workshops, discussions and virtual tours of Ani Hila, I will support all the three design outcomes with the medium of an online platform.